The new year may have already come and gone, but next school year is right around the corner! Let's talk logistics. Let's plan for what's to come!!! Everyone has received a copy of their course verifications for the upcoming school year. It seems there are many questions about the process to take certain classes, so here are the basics!
Your next verification will go home on March 3. They are due back with corrections by March 9. Final course requests will go home on March 15.
- We've said this before, and we're saying it again - if you are not on the "Class of..." Edmodo pages, you should be. We post a lot of information for students there. If you are a parent, you must have your student send you the link to add you. If you are a student and have not joined your Class page, you need to stop by the counseling office and get the most up to date Edmodo code. Once you join, you will receive information through your senior year. It's one and done!
- If you had more than 6 credits listed on your verification it is because teachers gave you multiple choices for courses. For example you may have been recommended for 2 sciences or 2 social studies courses. You must scratch out the classes you do not wish to take, keeping in mind you must have the required courses for graduation and a total of 6 need to be listed. You are welcome to write "alternate" down for any extra classes in the event something does not work out logistically. Gotta make some tough choices or the scheduling team will do it for you. 😊
- If you wrote any course on your verification form that requires an application such as:
- Teacher Aid, Office Aid, or Work Based Learning - You must complete the interest survey & then if deemed eligible by Ms. Crockett you will receive a formal more lengthy application to complete. Until all of those steps are complete, it will not be added to your course requests. Here is a link to the WBL interest survey: Interest Survey for WBL (TA, Office Aid, Off Campus Employment)
- There are 2 Advanced Placement courses that required an application no later than February 21st. AP Capstone and AP Computer Science Principles. You cannot write these on your verification form, you must complete the online application AND be accepted into the class before it will be added. Advanced Placement Applications and Information
- Any other Advanced Placement course or Honors course that you were NOT recommended for and did not appear on your verification but you want to take, you can scratch out a course on your verification and ADD the AP or Honors course you wish to take. Your parent and you must sign the bottom of the verification form. The course will only be added IF you meet the district placement guidelines. You can check out the placement criteria for individual courses in the Course Directory. Hooch Course Catalog for 17-18 school year
- Classes such as Internship, Musical Theater, Yearbook, Newspaper, Directed Study etc will not show up on your verification form until the scheduling team receives approval that you can take that course. We will typically receive one list from the teacher in charge of that area and move all students at one time. Here is the Directed Study application that needs to be submitted to Ms. Pair: Directed Study Application
- If you want to take an online course during the school year (fall or spring semester), you cannot write that on your verification form. You will need to follow the online course registration process which will be available in the counseling office on March 1st. It will be first come, first serve and spots are limited. Deadline to submit contracts is March 9.
- If you want to take a class over the summer in order to make room for something else in your schedule. The required course will not be deleted from your verification until we receive proof that you completed and passed the course over the summer. Your courses will not change until then. You can sign up for summer classes starting on March 1st through Fulton Virtual School or Georgia Virtual School. Counselors will still have to approve those, but no contract is required to turn in.
Link for Fulton Virtual School: Fulton Virtual School
Link for Georgia Virtual School: Georgia Virtual School
- College courses will not be added until the student has been accepted to the college AND has registered for courses at the college. You leave on your current recommendation and then once you are registered/accepted at the college, the counselor will make the change. If you have any questions about the MOWR process there is an AWESOME website that details the steps and answers all frequently asked questions. MOWR Information Website
- If you did not indicate alternatives to your application driven courses, or if you did not select classes adding up to 6.0 credits, the scheduling team may select high school courses for you. You can update your corrections during the second round of verifications.
- Keep in mind BALANCE is key. It does you no good to take a ton of rigorous courses and then get below average grades. It will only hurt your GPA and impact college admission chances. Be smart! Take what is appropriate for YOU and what you can realistically handle. Best fit for you may be different than someone else. That is OK. It is best to take less rigor and get A's then take a lot of rigor and get C's. Choose wisely!
- Counselor SUPPORT DAYS!!! Got a question?? Students can drop in to get their questions answered on March 6 & 8th in G125 during all lunch periods. Note: even if you meet with your counselor during those dates, they cannot add an "application" course to your schedule. We have to wait for you to be approved before adding anything, so make sure you select alternate, non-application/audition based electives for your verification.